Lynn Horton's Reviews > The New Girl

The New Girl by Daniel Silva

This is somewhere between a 4- and 5-star book for me, but since Silva has proven that, for the 19th time, he's my favorite author, I'm going with 5.

The New Girl is vintage Silva: rapid-fire pacing, shifting locations, international intrigue, clearly defined characters, and crisp dialogue. I love everything about his writing and construction, and think Gabriel Allon is one of the best (if not THE best) protagonists out there. I relate to Allon in a way that I don't a Jack Reacher (Lee Chid) or a Cotton Malone (Steve Berry), probably because of Allon's affiliation with the Middle East and Silva's willingness to tackle tough questions that touch on religion and religious differences. And the author manages to describe settings in a way that makes me feel as if I'm there, enhancing the story while not distracting from it.

My only negative comment about The New Girl is that Allon is a little wooden. Although his inner thoughts and motivations are alluded to at times, I didn't see him develop as a character in this book. I realize that after 19 books it's hard to tease out new facets of a protagonist, and I'm confident that Silva will find a way to do this.

(Addition to this review after thinking about it: Allon's stiffness may be a result of his now being head of Mossad, instead of a spy/assassin. In The Other Woman, the previous book and first with Allon as Mossad head, I commented on the same thing. Perhaps Silva is having a hard time depicting Allon as a more passive figure, instead of a very active one? Just thinking . . .)

Even with my take on Allon being stilted, The New Girl is well worth the read. In my opinion Silva is the best thing going in thriller, and he's a master of international stories. I can't wait to order the book that should release next summer.

Very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Girl.

Finished Reading
July 17, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Julie  Durnell Excellent review, Lynn! I think your perspective on Gabriel Allon is spot on-can't wait to read this!

Lynn Horton Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Lynn! I think your perspective on Gabriel Allon is spot on-can't wait to read this!"

Thanks for your comment, Julie. The Silva books are an event for me every summer, and I look forward to the NEXT one!

message 3: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Great review, Lynn! I’ve never read a Silva book, so may this one (or any of them) be read as a stand-alone? Thanks!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy B Lynn - I am also a devoted reader of these books, and I agree with your review. On Gabriel in this book, I have two points. One, Silva has had trouble handling two things - Gabriel's aging and the repetitive "let's assemble the team and put on a show" (I mean, catch a terrorist). In this book, I think he finally handles both. Gabriel has been invited to handle a difficult kidnap recovery by a friend/enemy from his past and uses both his own experience and his contacts in various countries to do so. On character development...I know many or most novels are heavy on this, but sometimes in life your character is more or less formed, and the story is what you do with that character. Just some thoughts.

Lynn Horton Priscilla wrote: "Great review, Lynn! I’ve never read a Silva book, so may this one (or any of them) be read as a stand-alone? Thanks!"

Golly, Priscilla, that's a hard question to answer. While Silva is certainly a good enough author to create a complete story in a later book in an ongoing series, I think it's always best to start at the beginning of the series.

That being written, if you start with just the book before this one (The Other Woman), you'd probably have enough momentum to carry you into The New Girl without missing too much of the backstory.

One thing I've enjoyed about Silva is watching his skill as an author grow with each book, to the point that I think he's at a level all his own now.

Lynn Horton Nancy wrote: "Lynn - I am also a devoted reader of these books, and I agree with your review. On Gabriel in this book, I have two points. One, Silva has had trouble handling two things - Gabriel's aging and the ..."

I think your observations are excellent, Nancy! And isn't almost every dedicated Silva reader wondering how he's going to handle Allon as a spetugenarian and octogenarian? God forbid that he tries to do a prequel. I also like, in The New Girl, that we see Allon's humanity very clearly in his willingness to try to save the daughter of his old enemy. THAT was very well done.

Cathy Meyers I’ve read all of Silva’s books and loved them. The last sentence in this book threw me - what did Hanfa do?

Lynn Horton Cathy wrote: "I’ve read all of Silva’s books and loved them. The last sentence in this book threw me - what did Hanfa do?"

Cathy, I'm assuming that no one who hasn't read this book will dig this far (because this certainly is a spoiler), but she killed the crown prince who was complicit in the death of her husband.

Cathy Meyers Lynn wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I’ve read all of Silva’s books and loved them. The last sentence in this book threw me - what did Hanfa do?"

Cathy, I'm assuming that no one who hasn't read this book will dig this f..."

Ok, I wasn’t getting if the bodyguard got her before she shot the Prince or not. Now we have to wait until his book next year to see what happens next. If the Prince died, I’m sure the bodyguard must have killed Hanfa.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I thought the book was great. Silva has Allon doing too much in field as the head of Mossad in the previous book and he changed that this time. He is in the field but supervising more than doing. I’m not sure that Allon is any more wooden than he had been in recent books.

message 11: by DOUG (new) - added it

DOUG CRANMER I agree that Silva hasn’t hit his stride with this new role for the Allon character since becoming the head of “The Office”. The running out into the field so frequently seems a bit forced. Maybe generating action and suspense seems tied to having Allon in the field.

message 12: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah Arora I think that towards the end, Khalid kills Hanifa.
Three things point towards that -
1) He is an Arab so he is well versed as to how restitution works
2) At the precise moment that Hanifa removes a gun, Khalid gets a phone call( perhaps he put in hidden surveillance cameras)
Lastly
3) It says "the bodyguard lunged" , not ducked , fell or slumped.
"And Khalid covered his face" .
Which means they were well aware of Hanifa's intentions

Szilvia Szakál Thanks to the comments, this review really should be indicated as spoiler...