REBEKKA's Reviews > Maiden, Mother, and Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes

Maiden, Mother, and Crone by Gwen Benaway

liked it

I liked the idea of this anthology a lot, and looked forward to its release since learning about it, but many of the stories in this collection simply did not turn out well. There were a few stand-outs, many that were fine yet forgettable, and some I felt were borderline Twitter threads, vehicles for takes more than stories with anyone or thing to care about in them, and takes that I have seen countless times. I know that sounds very harsh. Maybe I am just not the audience for those stories, as a lot of my negative feelings about them stemmed from the fact that they felt so dated.
My thoughts while reading them were, "I would probably like these more if I was a baby trans". I don't want to sound like I am asking trans femmes to not write about their experiences or being trans, because I am not, and stories with trans characters and experiences by trans authors haven't been made accessible (except on certain sites that I am not going to name) so they really are new stories for many people. I don't know. I don't want to sound like I hated this book and its contributing authors because I honestly did not, I did not even hate its stories. The worst thing I can say is that I felt too old for some of it, it felt like a case of "been there, seen that".

Kai Cheng Thom's I shall remain was by far my most favorite story in this collection and she is such a fucking incredible author.
Failure may have been my second most favorite.
Forest's Edge was memorable as well, it felt like it had a lot of what made me love fantasy stories, but it also felt like it had slightly too much going on at once and would have benefited from being longer and having more time to build instead of being a sprint and not allowing much of it to have the time to sink in.

I am not going to mention my least favorite stories, I would only feel mean. Most I can say is that I hope they mean something to someone and I hope that as authors they improve.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

Started Reading