Sherri's Reviews > Flirting with Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece

Flirting with Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Crusie

Mar 06, 2012

Despite the title reference to Pride and Prejudice as {shudder} chick-lit this collection of essays covers different aspects of the novel and its influences.

One of my favorite essays, by Lawrence Watt-Evans, tries to determine when the story was set by vague clues in the text and describes the world outside of Austen's carefully constructed universe. Another essay explains the historical importance of marriage and inheritance in reference to Regency society, a subject I thought I knew quite a bit about but turns out I did not. There's even an essay about my favorite Austen movie knock-off, Bride and Prejudice. There's mention of my least favorite, Bridget Jones' Diary, as well.

There's even an essay that dissects all the high-handed literary analysis of Austen and questions whether it explains or solves anything other than illustrating the critic's own personal prejudice. That Austen is considered unimportant and non-literary by most critics and just filler for the Womens Studies curriculum. I enjoyed this until the writer gave it a ridiculous conclusion that deflected some of her argument.

Some of the essays are light and gossip-y but there is more than just sighing over Darcy and calling Caroline Bingley a bee-yotch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirting with Pride and Prejudice.