Jay Hicks's Reviews > Have You Seen Luis Velez?

Have You Seen Luis Velez? by Catherine Ryan Hyde

It's hard to choose a favourite of Catherine's beautiful novels, but for now at least, this one is IT.
I listened on audio via Bolinda Digital through my library, and did something I've never done before. When the story ended, I went right back to chapter 1, and pressed play. The rich deep point of view of young teen, Raymond, had me feeling, knowing, understanding his every reaction. I saw the beautiful blind woman he helps through his eyes, felt his every concern - and hers. What a delight. I am going to buy a paper copy of this and highlight all the fabulous internalisation and visceral reactions Catherine has portrayed in her charming (and the not so nice) characters, as fine examples for my writer's brain. Her word skills leave me in awe.

Don't stop CRH - you are inspirational, and yes, by showing the value of mutual help and understanding by pairing the young and the elderly in your books (with an animal or two for extra feels). you teach that every person has history, value, and a story worth hearing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have You Seen Luis Velez?.

July 17, 2019 – Shelved