Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > Present through the End: A Caring Companion's Guide for Accompanying the Dying

Present through the End by Kirsten DeLeo

bookshelves: arc, from-publisher-or-author, nonfiction

I received this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

4.5/5

I requested this book back when my sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer. By the time I was approved to read this, she had passed away. I also did my first internship for social work as a hospice social worker. And what DeLeo has to say about being present with people during this time in life and the odd things that happen sparked memories in my mind. Such as, the fear that sometimes happens or the really fun visits. I will cherish my last conversation with my sister, which was a few days before she passed away. It wasn't in-depth -- she only said one word over and over again no matter what I said -- but I still cherish it. And, I remember the conversations and moments that I had with my patients.

This book highlights the good and bad beautifully, along with adding a Buddhist take on it all. I read a lot of end-of-life books and most of them were aimed towards Christians. There's nothing wrong with Christianity, but that's not where my personal beliefs lie. Mine are much closer to Buddhism and Hinduism, so I felt like I could take the practices that DeLeo explained and applied them to my everyday life and working with the population I intend to as a social worker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Present through the End.

July 16, 2019 – Started Reading
July 16, 2019 – Shelved
July 16, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
July 16, 2019 – Shelved as: from-publisher-or-author
July 16, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
July 17, 2019 –
21.0% "Well, I'm already crying."
July 17, 2019 –
100.0% "That was very good. RTC!"
July 17, 2019 – Finished Reading