Anna's Reviews > Funeral Pallor

Mar 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2010

For those who dig the action of urban fantasy but roll their eyes at the obligatory romance, this might be what you've been looking for. In book 1, the romance was very low-key, and barely features at all in book 2. I think you get about 5 pages of romancey type stuff, and none of it is the high-tension "will they or won't they" relationship. While it's a nice change of pace to escape the angst and sexy times of a pair of supernaturals thrown together, I actually kind of wished for more of a buildup to the little that was there, as otherwise it feels like it's coming out of nowhere.

Val's friends and allies from Shade Fright are back: everyone from the Yoda-like DT to "Bill," the ghost of former Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon MacKenzie King. In addition, there are some very colourful new arrivals, including my personal favourite, Reaper, who I'm excited to say will be getting his own spinoff novel soon.

There's a lot of action going on in Funeral Pallor. From beginning to end it's a fast-paced ride not unlike a roller coaster; you've only just managed to catch your breath before the next bit swoops in and carries you off, and you can't always tell how quickly those loop-de-loops will go.

This is the kind of sequel you could pick up and read without having knowledge of the first book, and while it does leave one minor loose end dangling, stands alone strongly enough you're not going to go out of your head until the next book arrives. And there is a third Valerie Stevens novel in the works, in which I'll be looking for the resolution of my one loose end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Funeral Pallor.