Tim Casteel's Reviews > The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's Crucifixion

The Day the Revolution Began by N.T. Wright

What a challenging book. This is the first NT Wright book I’ve ever read and boy did I enjoy him. I now want to read every book he’s written. I found him incredibly thorough and methodical (Piper-esque) in building a clear, compelling case from Scripture. Such an original and clear-minded thinker, I have no problem taking his over-the-top dichotomies with a grain of salt (e.g.- you must either believe in penal substitutionary atonement OR Jesus Victor).

Wright helped me understand some key Biblical themes, expecially: exile as THE primary punishment for sin in the OT. Reading through the OT as I read Wright, I had this thought: I feel like I’m beginning to understand the Bible (a funny thing to think, having read the Bible for 25 years!).

One of his chief goals is answering this not-at-all-as-simple-as-it-sounds question: When the early Christians summarized their “good news” by saying that “the Messiah died for our sins in accordance with the Bible,” what precisely did they mean?
What was God hoping to achieve by Jesus’s death, and why was that the appropriate method of achieving it?

One of his answers: "I am suggesting that in the Bible humans are created in order to live as worshipping stewards within God’s heaven-and-earth reality, rather than as beings who, by moral perfection, qualify to leave “earth” and go to “heaven” instead.”

I think Wright MIGHT just be correct in saying that sharing the gospel as “punch your ticket to heaven” is responsible for much of what is wrong with the American Church.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day the Revolution Began.

July 16, 2019 – Started Reading