Rachel's Reviews > Soul of the Sword

Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa

This is such a fun series. Like the first installment, this has the feel of an anime adventure, where a band of heroes have to embark on a quest across Japan to save the world. The tale is ripe with legend, tradition, ghosts and samurai.

Hakaimono has been freed from his sword imprisonment and has possessed Kage Tatsumi. Yumeko has decided to save Tatsumi by driving the demon out of his body back into the sword, and she still has to deliver the last piece of scroll to the Steel Feather Temple.

Like before, this is told in multi-POV between Yumeko, Hakaimono (Kage Tatsumi) and Suki, the ghost of a servant girl. Yumeko's parts were by far the most interesting. I'd forgotten who Suki was travelling with and why, and switching the narration to Haikimono from Tatsumi made me less invested because he had no redeeming qualities. I kept thinking it would have been cool to see Tatsumi narrate from within the demon. I think I would have empathized more.

What I was incredibly delighted to see was Yumeko using her fox magic to its fullest extent. She often writes it off as simple fox trickery, but in this installment, she discovers how much trickery and illusion can really accomplish, and I can't wait to see what she does next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul of the Sword.

July 16, 2019 – Started Reading