Andrew Kaufmann's Reviews > The Rook

Mar 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: current-collection
Read from February 19 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

As far as supernatural thriller/mysteries go, this one certainly isn't bad. It's got a little bit of whodunit, a little bit of character study, and a little bit of supernatural fantasy. Overall, an enjoyable read without being a masterpiece. Good, solid bubblegum mystery.

The plot moves quickly - too quickly. It weighed in almost 500 pages, but it could have easily slowed down and been more in the 700-800 range to properly tell the complex story. The story started out paced nicely, but seemed to sprint toward the climax after a well-set-up beginning. Reminded me of some of my term papers, where I started out researching thoroughly, got tired, and realized my deadline was looming - so the second half was less well developed.

I was also a bit disappointed in the character development. The new Myfawny Thomas seems totally lacking motivation, but continues along her paths. I would have enjoyed some more introspection into the character as she copes with her supernatural life.

But, if you're looking for a unique book with a supernatural mystery, this one won't leave you feeling disappointed. It has flaws that are common with young writers, and I look forward to Daniel O'Malley's next offering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.