Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts's Reviews > Her Royal Highness

Her Royal Highness by Rachel Hawkins

it was ok
bookshelves: startonyourshelfathon, tt-january, 2-star

Spoiler Free! Full review available at Bookmark Your Thoughts.

"But this wasn't just about making it right. It was about being unable to reconcile the thought of never being able to tell him that she felt the same way ..."

Prince Charming (Royals, Book One): ★★★

Sometime last year, I realized I haven't read many (if any) F/F romance books; I've been trying to really get more diverse in my reading selection. Hawkins' Prince Charming was pretty cute --- so I thought why not give the second book a try?

Though the potential was RIGHT there ... the execution faltered. I wanted to LOVE this book, especially since certain elements made me REALLY happy. But unfortunately, this YA romance story just didn't cut it for me.

The Pros

Pro 1. The love story is actually incredibly adorable. Ahhh ... the "average person" falls in-love with "royalty" trope; I have to say, this is DEFINITELY one of the guilty pleasures. The connection between American geologists-in-training Millie and the Scottish sassy-and-blunt Princess Flora's ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL! A hate-to-love story, Millie and Flora's initial interactions are priceless! The banter between these two opposing forces makes for a hilarious read. But as they begin to grow closer, their infatuation makes you desire for more. With a fantastic chemistry that balances both comical relief and a wealth of passion, following their story is becomes quite the treat.

Pro 2. There's an abundance of diversity ... even demonstrating some very valuable lessons! Bisexuality, F/F romance, different ethnic backgrounds and cultures, non-traditional families ... Hawkins includes it all! Hawkins' characters bring to life a diverse cast, demonstrating a REALISTIC look at society today rather than making the book completely ... well ... white-washed, heterosexual and male dominated, to put it bluntly. But there's even little lessons to be learned by both the characters and the readers about making assumptions, such as sexual orientation and beliefs. Remember folks: never judge a book by its cover.

The Woes

Woe 1. Though it's based in Scotland, the content and presence still didn't give off this vibe. This was a problem in Prince Charming as well, with a number of Scottish individuals commenting on this exact issue. There are multiple references that either aren't accurate to Scottish traditions or don't fit in with the timeline now --- even character names that were chosen don't reflect Scottish culture. The other letdown is the lack of description of Scotland ... the towns, the beautiful landscape --- it's all missing, which is usually the exciting thing about reading a book so focused on a characters love for that place.

Woe 2. Though the characters are intriguing, there's little depth to them. Millie's an absolutely adorable, kind hearted character with a bit of sass to make her more interesting. Even Flora and Millie's other friends from school really intrigued me ... but there's LITTLE exploration of the characters! They're borderline FLAT characters, which was extremely annoying. If this was a short story, I would understand. But a novel should explore these characters more ... their traits, their hobbies, their lives, the things that make them happy and the things that trouble them ... there was VERY little of that. So unfortunately, none of them are very memorable due to this lack of character development.

Woe 3. The content itself is too linear, and that ending so abrupt. Like the characters, the story itself is PRETTY basic. It follows a very simple romance recipe. There's nothing WRONG with writing a book this way, but the pacing and linear story-line provided LITTLE opportunity to explore Millie and Flora's blossoming relationship. Everything just ... happened ... with barely any momentum or build up. And that ending?! WHAT WAS THAT?! It's not a cliffhanger ... but it honestly made me thing I bought a version that was missing pages ... it's so sudden!

Overall

Hawkins' Her Royal Highness is a lovely addition to the Royals series, providing a great amount of humour and lovey-dovey romance. Though the story is rather rushed and linear ... and there's little character development ... I don't believe this story was meant to elaborate on these areas. This is simply a fluffy romance story to bring joy and smiles to those looking for an easy-breezy read, rather than an intense and emotionally strenuous novel. So at the end of the day, Her Royal Highness brings readers a fun and fast read that's sure to make your heart swoon.

I recommend this novel if you enjoy:

↠ A fluffy F/F romance
↠ Diverse characters
↠ Quick and easy read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Royal Highness.

July 15, 2019 – Started Reading