megs_bookrack's Reviews > Over the Woodward Wall

Over the Woodward Wall by A. Deborah Baker

bookshelves: arcs-read

Seanan McGuire, here writing as A. Deborah Baker, brings a book within a book to life with Over the Woodward Wall.

For those of you who haven't read Middlegame, first of all...

I'm kidding, I just couldn't resist using that gif.

Moving quickly along, A. Deborah Baker is a character first introduced in Middlegame. She is the author of a book called, Over the Woodward Wall; snippets of which you get interspersed throughout the course of the novel.

My recollection, although hazy, is that Baker was a powerful alchemist and was involved in some way with Roger, Dodger and other children like them.

In Over the Woodward Wall we follow two children, with similar personality characteristics to Roger and Dodger, Avery and Zib, who live in the same town, on the same street, attend the same school, but have never met one another.

That is until one morning on their respective walks to school, they both encounter a detour. Said detour leads them to a wall, the only option is to go up and over.

They do and find themselves in an entirely different world with no immediate evidence of a way to return home.

From there, the kids are forced to become acquainted rather quickly as they work together to survive the somewhat hostile fairy tale landscape known as the Up and Under.

Meeting an intriguing cast of side characters along the way, including talking owls and a girl made entirely of crows, Zib and Avery, come to trust in and rely on one another. A far jump from where they started.

This story is absolutely enchanting. There are so many fine details, I know I didn't get everything I could out of this first read.

McGuire is a master at making every sentence count. Every word is placed for maximum impact. It's truly an impressive display of skill.

Do I think people who haven't read Middlegame can enjoy this?

Absolutely, 100%, yes!

You could compare this to so many things, yet it is like nothing else.

I feel Alice in Wonderland. I feel The Wizard of Oz. I feel The Chronicles of Narnia. But at the same time, it is different; it's its own thing.

If you have read and enjoyed any of McGuire's, Wayward Children series, you should definitely pick this book up. I feel like it could easily be incorporated into that series.

I have so many thoughts on this, but as you can tell, they're a little discombobulated.

As always, I appreciated McGuire's subtle social commentary with regards to gender roles and the effects of unnecessary expectations placed on children, not just by parents, but by society as a whole.

Although, the ending was a little too abrupt for my tastes, and I would have enjoyed a bit more to the story, overall, I did really enjoy it.

I will end up rereading this at some point, maybe simultaneously with a reread of Middlegame. I am also hoping we see more of Zib and Avery's adventures in the future.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Tor, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I certainly appreciate the opportunity and will continue to pick up anything this author writes, under any name!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over the Woodward Wall.

July 15, 2019 – Shelved
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 4, 2020 – Started Reading
October 5, 2020 –
15.0% "The quality of the writing...
I can't get over it.
So good. It's just so good."
October 7, 2020 –
34.0% "this is making me want to watch Labyrinth!!!"
October 9, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
October 9, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Do I need to read Middlegame to be as excited as you???

megs_bookrack Ruthie wrote: "Do I need to read Middlegame to be as excited as you???"Haha, you don't need to, but it would probably help! 🙂😃