Noa ☾'s Reviews > Hello Girls

Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro

liked it

Tw : physical abuse, manipulation

ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

“Why did people lie ? With their words, with their voices, with their bodies, with their beautiful houses and beautiful clothes and sometimes even their faces ? Why couldn’t everyone just be what they were ? Monsters should look like monsters.”

Between the ages of 12 and 15, I dreamt of running away in a Thelma and Louise way (not because my life was horrible, but because of imagination and vicariously living through movies and books). Now that I think of it, if I had had to actually think a plan through… I would’ve been found dead somewhere (and not even in a ditch, probably just because I choked on a piece of broccoli. That didn’t make any sense, I don’t even like broccoli but it’s out there now).

The story follows Lucille and Winona, two seniors in high school, as they run away from their hometown.

Winona and Lucille do have very distinct backgrounds but are united by their profound friendship and their love for each other. Friendship Can Save Your Life and in that way, this book celebrates this type of friendship (which I love to read about) which is a pure-hearted, complete love for each other (and reminded me although the stories have nothing in common, about the way Blue describes her friendship with the Raven Boys).

While I enjoyed the premise of the story a lot, I thought that the two main characters weren’t distinguishable enough in the narrative. I liked the writing style despite that fact. Some parts I thought were predictable (view spoiler) This book talks about the male gaze and how crushing it is which I thought was very well put. The ending was okay but left me unsatisfied.

Here’s what I disliked : the story felt like it was building towards a climactic point (I mean, there IS a murder at some point) except there was none. The girls go through a lot of dark stuff (view spoiler) but it felt like the stakes were completely overlooked ? They did all these things but there were no consequences ? And so all of this happens and then… nothing, it’s the end. Which left me disappointed. Obviously I didn’t want them to end up in prison nor die a very tragic Thelma and Louise’ death but I wanted at least, something to happen.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello Girls.

July 15, 2019 – Shelved
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 22, 2019 – Started Reading
July 23, 2019 –
July 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Marysia❤️ Ciekawa ksiazka :-)