CrystalBookSnob's Reviews > Through to You

Through to You by Emily Hainsworth

Mar 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ala-2012, can-t-wait-to-read-2012, 2012-debut-author, arc-i-own, reviewd
Read from August 14 to 15, 2012

The concept of the parallel universe has really hit big in the media and pop culture lately. Fringe is a really popular TV show and even though I have somewhat fallen away from, it’s a really great show! The idea that there are parallel universes out there with ourselves living different lives is a very interesting concept and I too wonder how my life would have changed had I made different choices.

Through to You starts off sad when we learn that Cam’s girlfriend Viv has died in a car accident. His whole life is turned upside down and he doesn’t seem to know what to do to feel better. I have an easy time relating to characters that’ve lost someone very important in their lives and I immediately felt attached to him. Every time someone would try to get him to snap out of it, I would get a little upset because I know that everyone grieves differently. I was just so sad for him.

The Viv from Cam’s memories seemed like a really nice person and I could see why he really liked her. They got along well, they had common interests and when Cam because unpopular because he had to quit the football team, Viv supported him and quit cheerleading. They seemed like a really great couple. But when he starts hanging out with the other Viv in the other universe, I could see almost immediately how the two Vivs were different. Cam doesn’t quit football in the other universe and it makes all of Viv’s unattractive qualities come out. She selfish, self-centered and jealous of all Cam’s other commitments. She was also very reckless.

The choices and the circumstances surrounding the choices that these characters made turned them into very different people. I’m really glad that Hainsworth was able to make that distinction. And sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side. I give Through to You 3 hearts because Hainsworth did a great job of combining science fiction and contemporary and turning it into a very enjoyable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through to You.