Mj's Reviews > I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity

I Shall Not Hate by Izzeldin Abuelaish

Mar 06, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoirs-bios-autobios, book-club-selection, 2011
Recommended for: Book Clubs, Anyone interested in Middle East Peace or Global Peace
Read in June, 2011

Heartwarming, inspirational book.

My Solo Opinion

I Shall Not Hate was writen by Dr. Abuelaish, a Palestinian doctor who lost 3 daughters and a niece in a bombing on his home in the Gaza strip. The book is an effort to reach out and make something positive out of such a tragedy. Throughout his medical career Dr. Abuelaish has continued to live in Palestine but much of his work is in Israel, alongside Israeli doctors. Dr. Abuelaish has come to learn that we are all human and part of the same universe. Rather than seek revenge and become consumed by hatred, Dr. Abuelaish has taken the opportunity of this tragedy to accept and forgive and to speak about peace and outreach and for all of humanity to live in harmony as the human family.

Recommended for insight into the Israeli/Palestinian warring over the Gaza Strip.

Also recommended for everyone interested in world peace. The book and the actions of Dr. Abuelaish are truly inspirational.

Book Club Post Script

In December 2013 this was a book club selection. I was expecting that everyone would love the book like I did.

Surprise!! Surprise!! There was lots of discussion and the likes and dislikes were split.

Those who were favourable liked what I liked about the book - Abuelaish's courage, principles, drive, commitment and focus.

The negatives were about the politics in the book, some thought it had an agenda and was a bit of propaganda, more pro Lebanese and anti Israeli or that the book was too violent and full of abuse of power and said they had a preference for more pleasant books to read in their leisure time before sleeping.

I thought, as did some others that the author was courageous, made a difference and involved his family in the decision to stay in Lebanon to improve the situation. I like others was very proud that he chose to move to Canada to live to continue his work in medicine and peace. Others however were highly critical of his staying in Lebanon, feeling that he should have put his family family's safety first and got them out of Lebanon much earlier so they would still be alive.

There was definitely a very lively book club discussion which surprised me. I would say it was an excellent book club choice for this reason.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Shall Not Hate.