Kirstin Glawe's Reviews > Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix

F 50x66
Mar 06, 2012

This book is a fantasy book about a boy, Luke, who is a forbidden child according to the Population Police or government because he is a third child and his journey for survival. The title page intrigues that reader because it is of a little boy and a house that is tucked away in the forest. This appeals to the reader because they are already questioning the suspenseful look of the cover. The book is extremely well written and it is definitely a book that you cannot put down. It is full of adventure and excitement because all you want to do is see Luke succeed. I also like this book because I think it can be relatable since it is a story about children. Besides the book doing such a great job at being so suspenseful, it also does a good job at discussing the law and government, which many children do not do. This is a great book to plan government lessons around for teachers, especially when discussing world laws, like the one-child policy in China. One negative thing about the book though is that you do not want children to take the whole story too seriously because it could really freak them out, especially those children who are the third ones in a family, like I am. Overall this book is a wonderful fantasy for both children and adults and I would recommend it and the rest of the series to everyone that is looking for a great suspenseful adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Hidden.