Emma's Reviews > Red Hood

Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold

bookshelves: arcs, 2019

There are some books that sneak into your heart when you least expect it.

I was initially dismayed when I started reading Red Hood and discovered that it’s written in second person. It’s a bit jarring to feel like there’s no separation between you and this story, which definitely goes into the darkest parts of the forest. Arnold promised in the opening reader’s note (at least in my ARC copy) that she would lead readers out the other side and this promise is what kept me going.

Red Hood wasn’t really what I expected, but in the best way. Though parts of this story are dark, it also brims with love and the power of female friendship. Little Red Riding Hood is one of my least favorite fairy tales and seeing it retold in a way that contained so much female agency was amazing. On top of all of that, the writing was gorgeous. This was my first Arnold book and I’m definitely going to get my hands on Damsel now.

Trigger warnings: sexual harassment, stalking, physical abuse, and death of a parent.

Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Hood.

July 14, 2019 – Shelved
July 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 14, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs
August 6, 2019 – Started Reading
August 8, 2019 –
15.0% "With the subject matter and the second person narration, this is way too heavy for me to read before going to bed"
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019