Aleathia Drehmer's Reviews > Eye Contact

Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern

Jul 31, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Aleathia by: just liked the cover
Recommended for: people with special needs children

** spoiler alert ** This afternoon I finished reading "Eye Contact" by Cammie McGovern. The only thing I knew about this book was that it was a pyschological thriller. I liked the cover of the book as it was a blurry and eerie picture of a girl standing in the woods.

This quick reading novel seems to be about a young girl, new to town, that gets murdered in the woods near her elementary school. This could be any parents nightmare and I must confess, it has altered my own sleeping patterns and made me stand guard a bit more vigilantly with my own child than I am used to. This folks, is the sign of a good book. When a book somehow takes over your subconscious enough to alter the way you live your life, the writer has done something right. It was not an overly scary book in the sense that it contained gore, but what made it interesting was the several points of view from which it was told.

It was told from the view of a single mother whose entire life is caring for her autistic son Adam. It is told from the point of view of a middle school child struggling to be invisible and visible at the same time. It is told from the point of view of the autistic child. The common thread throughout this book is the need for friendship or for rekindling lost bonds. It is also about letting people have the freedom to map their own world out and how by making things easy for someone only allows them to never make the effort for themselves. It is about will and strength of character in the face of something tragic. And in some ways, it is about hope.

The author has an autistic child, so the description of mannerisms and how strange a life a child like this has, were very accurate. I think it was interesting to be able to see into this world a bit more deeply. The brain of an autistic is a complex rewiring that many of us will never understand. They have super gifts in some areas, but often never take pleasure in the simple things our life has to offer like friendship, physical closeness, or being able to follow the abstract. We take these things for granted, I believe.

This book was what I would call an "easy read" in the sense that I did not feel like I would have a mental meltdown after it was done. It isn't hard hitting in a cerebral sense, but a good 300 pages of brain candy to curl up with on a string of rainy days

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eye Contact.

03/18/2017 marked as: read