Sarah Doyle's Reviews > The Strange Case of Origami Yoda

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

F 50x66
Mar 05, 2012

First off, I found the cover of the book to be extremely appealing because a picture of a real life handmade Origami Yoda pops out from the drawings of the background. I also enjoyed the illustrations in the book, which I think helps the reader visualize characters in the book and also parts of the story. Not only that, but they were fun and enjoyable. It made the book really seem like 6th graders wrote it.
The author does a great job in making this story seem realistic. All of the characters in the book can remind the reader of a fellow or current student in their school and we can see each character grow as the book goes along. However, each character that tells a story of an experience with Origami Yoda tells their story in first-person narrative. Basically, the author chooses to tell the whole story in first-person narrative, using different characters. This is a good use of point of view because it allows the reader to see through the eyes of several characters, not just one, but the problem I have is that the story brings many characters into the book so one might have to flip back and forth to remind themselves of the certain character.
Lastly, a reader can enjoy this book without watching or reading Star Wars. Personally, I’ve never cared for Star Wars, but that didn’t stop me from understanding the story of the book and learning about Origami Yoda and his special connection with The Force. All in all, Origami Yoda gave some confusing, but great advice to these 6th grade students about their life problems and daily hassles that the readers of this book can actually use for their own good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Origami Yoda.