Clare O'Beara's Reviews > The Rocking Book of Rocks: An Illustrated Guide to Everything Rocks, Gems, and Minerals

The Rocking Book of Rocks by Florence Bullough

bookshelves: nature-guides, non-fiction, young-adult

Anyone could learn from and enjoy this intro to geology. Kids will love it for the brightly coloured pages and fascinating facts. From asteroids to volcanoes, sediments to dinosaurs, everyone can follow the tale of rocks. We see which types are formed by pressure and which by sedimentation, which gemstones are rock in nature and which are biological.

The illustrations make spotting and identifying rocks easy - correct terms are used, like conglomerate instead of pudding stone; but I spotted 'alachite' instead of malachite. This may have been corrected as I read an ARC. A handy glossary is at the back and any words capitalised in the text will be found in the glossary.

The only way to make this book better would have been activities like walking on a seashore or mountain to start a rock collection, going to a museum, and making things like jewellery or pet rocks. But parents and teachers can probably figure those out once the book is present.
I downloaded an e-ARC from Net Galley. This is an unbiased review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rocking Book of Rocks.

July 13, 2019 – Started Reading
July 13, 2019 – Shelved
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: nature-guides
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Smith I loved geology in college and still collect rocks for the garden. We took field trips, and we dropped acid--possibly hydrochloric--on granite tombstones to see the results.

Clare O'Beara Mind your fingers!