Robert Owens's Reviews > The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The reading challenge at my local library has a category called steampunk. I am unfamiliar with that genre. I am aware of the "style" of clothing, but not a literary genre. I asked and did not get a definition I understood well. So, I Googled it. This page had a list and it included The Time Machine. That worked for me.

The story seems a bit simplistic in 2019. I am certain in 1895 when it was written it had a far different feel to it. This was told pretty much in first-person. Many other books from that era seemed to use this approach. It had a feel for the time.

The Time Traveller experienced two races of people: Eloi and Morlocks. He found them to be simpler, not more advanced. In time he learned their relationship was rancher and cattle for the Morlocks fed upon the Eloi, who seemed to have no spirit.

The Eloi lived above agound, the Morlocks below. The Morlocks captured the Time Traveller's time machine. He spends his time constructing how to get it back. The Morlocks are afraid of fire; the Time Traveller made use of it.

Before returning to present time (1895), he travels into the future millions of years to the end of Earth's time. He sees crab-like creatures.

The Time Traveller recounts his story to a group of disbelieving/incredulous friends, including the narrator. The narrator returns to the Time Traveller the following day only to find he has gone off again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Machine.

July 13, 2019 – Started Reading