Joanna Larum's Reviews > Venom

Venom by Stewart Giles

Venom is the latest book with Jason Smith as the detective. I have read all of the Jason Smith books and thoroughly enjoyed every one but this, this is something on an entirely different scale. From the opening words to the 'The End', I was hooked and couldn't put it down. Jason gets a call from a man who says 'I want to live' - a crank call? Oh no. He is sent to investigate a suspicious death where the victim's phone has Jason's number as the last call made. Then more people die, each one has received a letter telling them they have won a prize and to ring Jason's number. The twist is, the envelope contains a trap which pumps snake venom into the person who opens it. A dastardly brilliant way to commit murder! And the killer is getting closer to Jason's family!
I always enjoy Stewart's books but this one has scaled heights which he has never reached before. It was page-turningly brilliant and left me so dreadfully disappointed when I had finished it. I wanted more! Immediately!
I have also got to admit that, at times, I was really quite scared at the thought of some of the scenes described in the book. The basement with the tanks, all containing different, highly venomous snakes and the fridge with the anti-venom goes down as one of the scariest scenarios ever written. But no more spoilers - get it and read it and be prepared for a rollercoaster ride!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading