Kristen Burns's Reviews > The Shotgun Arcana

The Shotgun Arcana by R.S. Belcher

3.5 Stars

Review:
These books are slow and meandering. They take a long time to get to the point of the plot. They spend a lot of time just exploring random things going on in the town or out and about in the world.

But gosh, these characters are so great! I feel so attached to them. They're imperfect and good-hearted and lovable. Their relationships and friendships are so sweet and genuine. I may not be all that interested in some of them, but even those characters are still lovable and I don't want bad things to happen.

I really enjoyed the parts about 16-year-old Jim trying to catch a serial killer and also having his first romance, Jim and Mutt's friendship, Mutt and Maude wooing each other and fighting for their relationship despite the hate against them, Harry trying to balance duty and love, Harry and Mutt's mutual dislike but respect for each other, Jon just trying to get by and survive and keep the town safe but also maybe finally finding some happiness for himself, Malachi also trying to keep the town safe in his own way while having a crisis of faith and getting to know his daughter. I didn't care that much for Augustus and Gillian's relationship, Clay's science experiments, or Maude's supernatural hunting trip, but, again, they're still good characters.

The third person omniscient/head-hopping was still there, but it didn't so much bother me this time because I knew to expect it, and I think it just wasn't as confusing and chaotic.

The main story was also good, once it got going. And the battle at the end of the book was wild. Townsfolk, psychopaths, assassins, pirates, scientists, supernatural shapeshifters, angels. It was great.

Of course I loved the Old West setting too. These books are quintessential weird west books, what with all the weird sci-fi/fantasy stuff that goes on.

Overall, I loved seeing more of these lovably imperfect characters and their relationships, and I'm glad I continued this series.

Recommended For:
Fans of Book 1 in R.S. Belcher's Golgotha series. Anyone who likes sci-fi/fantasy, the Old West, good-hearted characters, and sweet friendships.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shotgun Arcana.

July 12, 2019 – Started Reading