Britta's Reviews > Kiss the Morning Star

Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole

Mar 05, 2012

liked it

Road trip books are just one of those types of things that will never grow old. In some areas, Kiss the Morning Star lived up to the other books in the genre, in others it was laking bit. Overall, the novel was able to forge strong connections and personal revelations.

What I thought was comparable to other great road trip books was the adventure. There was definitely some weird interactions! But in a good way - the journey was fun and unique. What added depth was that the characters did not launch their trip out of happiness, but out of grief. As they tour the U.S., they are also (in the least cheesy way possible) touring their own subconscious; coming to terms with who they are and what they do and do not have to power to change as an individual. The development the characters go through is impressive. I was not expecting the more romantic side to the plot and the characters. So, there are for sure a few surprises.

My criticism lies in the parts that felt kind of slow or forced. Some of the interactions between the two main characters (and a few between the MC and supporting characters) felt really awkward and uncomfortable. I'm sure the author meant for this to an extent, but at some parts I just wanted to cringe (and did). This is not me objecting to the actions, but that the true emotions did not transfer and instead seemed uncomfortable for the characters (and consequentially, the reader).

If you're a road trip lover, I'd give it a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Morning Star.

March 5, 2012 – Shelved