Celia's Reviews > Swordspoint

Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-books, audio-book, fantasy

I didn't particularly enjoy the production of this audio book - while the author narrates the story well, the sound effects were rather heavy handed - clashing swords in the fight scenes, tea room noises, crowds chatting to each other, all coming in suddenly and loudly over the narration. The seemingly random decision to have a full cast for certain scenes was also odd - I would have preferred one or the other, not just occasional scenes done with a full cast.

I quite enjoyed this tale of sword fighting and political intrigue on a superficial level. I'm not sure the world itself really holds up to anything more than that - in particular, a system where hired swordsmen can kill people as long as they're doing so on behalf of a wealthy patron, but if the wealthy patron isn't involved then it's murder, just seemed rather unlikely to me. Perhaps this is based on historical precedent, I've no idea, but it didn't seem that it would work terribly effectively in practice. My vague feeling of "oh, this is all a bit silly" kept me from being more involved in the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swordspoint.