Charlie's Reviews > The Heir of Night

The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe

Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: goodreads-challenge-2012
Read from March 05 to 18, 2012

I picked this book up at the beginning of the month after reading a blog post from Cassie about New Zealand Book Month. I'm always looking for new things to read and I was looking for something to read after finishing The Hunger Games. So why not support a NZ author this month?

The Heir of Night is the first of four books to be published in the Wall of Night Series. (The second book was just released!)

I wasn't entirely certain what to expect when I picked the book up. The differences in cover art between the U.S. release and NZ release are starkly different.(Not that I was trying to glean anything about the series from the cover art or anything...)

At first the story reads like a typical fantasy - with castles, walls, Earls, feast, oaths etc. But then I began to notice little things... references really...that turned the entire book on its side for me. The Derai are from another planet, perhaps even star system. They are not native to Haarth and their presence has changed the world.

The melding of science fiction with traditional fantasy elements is quite seamless. Lowe expertly blends the two with myths and origin stories. The elements that brought the Derai to Haarth have been lost over time and it is those elements that are now required to save both.

Haarth is both familiar and alien seen through the eyes of various characters. It becomes a character in itself.

I really enjoyed meeting all the characters and while some have already departed the story I look forward to seeing how the rest fare in the next book.

(Bonus - if you read this book and find yourself confused - there is a handy glossary in the back with descriptions.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir of Night.