Paula's Reviews > Other Words for Home

Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga

This is a story I wish every middle grade student (and their families) in America would read so we would have more empathy, love, and kindness and less talk of "go back home" and "build that wall" when we meet immigrants like Jude and her mother. They come to America to stay with Jude's Uncle Mazin because her beloved home of Syria has become so dangerous and her mother is pregnant with her baby sister. Uncle Mazin's wife, Michelle, and daughter, Sarah, are not Syrian (and Sarah becomes jealous that her father is giving Jude so much attention.) What does it feel like to walk in the shoes of someone fleeing violence and coming to America for comfort and safety, only to experience xenophobia and islamophobia that you struggle to understand? A much needed book that tears down the walls of "otherness" and helps us to see we aren't as different as some would pretend us to be. A beautifully told novel in verse that will open hearts and minds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Words for Home.

2019 – Started Reading