Kerri's Reviews > The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree

The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree by Paola Peretti

I bought this for the absolutely beautiful cover* (the back features a lovely image of a cherry tree, which is just as appealing as the front cover!) and because I liked the way the book felt in my hands. I didn't know what to expect from it, but I knew it was going to be a special book. Which of course, it was.

Mafalda is nine years old. She's wonderful and insightful and loves her cat, Ottimo Turcaret. 🐱 She also has Stargardt Disease, and is rapidly losing her sight. She measures the increasing loss by the distance that she is from the cherry tree at her school when she can see it.

This was a sad, funny, poignant book. Mafalda is such a wonderful character. I could have read this in one sitting, but I wanted to make it last, so I paced myself! Her friendships with Filippo and Estella are wonderful and rather magical. It's a simple story, but also isn't, I don't really know how to convey my point properly! Nonetheless, it was a gorgeous book that I will treasure, and most likely read again.

*The illustrations, both on the cover and inside the book are by Carolina Rabei, and I adored them. 💟

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree.

July 11, 2019 – Started Reading
July 11, 2019 – Shelved
July 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Nat (new)

Nat K This sounds utterly gorgeous.

Kerri I really loved it! It's become one of those books that I loved to an almost alarming level!😁

message 3: by Nat (new)

Nat K Kerri wrote: "I really loved it! It's become one of those books that I loved to an almost alarming level!😁"

Ah, but those are the best kind ;-)

Kerri They definitely are!😊

message 5: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Yay!!! A 5 star book!!

Kerri Yup!😄 It was lovely!

message 7: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Lovely review,Kerri.

Kerri Thank you, Angela! ☺