Rob Lund's Reviews > God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question-Why We Suffer

God's Problem by Bart D. Ehrman

liked it
bookshelves: library

It's sort of telling that the sections I skimmed the most were the direct references from the Bible that Bart very meticulously pours over. When he would veer back into personal anecdotes or actual examples (rather than just hypotheticals) of human suffering, that's when I would tune back in with interest.

I spent my entire childhood and young adulthood in Sunday Schools and church services, enough to hear all those old Bible stories 10 times over. So really, an exhaustive look into the Scriptures about where the Bible stands on suffering wasn't really so enjoyable.

But I was surprised to find in this book a good explanation on Apocalypticism and how both Jesus and Paul adhered to this view. It's no wonder my Pentecostal upbringing was so obsessed with dark eschatology!

I found that I align with Bart's view, that pain and suffering is best explained via the Ecclesiastes route: that much of it -- along with the good and peaceful moments -- are fleeting and transitory. Best to soak it up before it's gone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Problem.

July 11, 2019 – Started Reading
July 11, 2019 – Shelved as: library
July 11, 2019 – Shelved
July 13, 2019 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
July 13, 2019 –