Sylvie's Reviews > Irregulars

Irregulars by Nicole Kimberling

Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: m-m, favorites, of-magic, of-elves-dwarves-magical-beings, of-the-fae, of-vamps-and-suckers, romance-paranormal
Read in March, 2012

Simply amazing. Dark, gripping, romantic tales of a world so close to our world. I'd say in all the ways that matter, it is our world...except for the extra-ordinary beings.

I'm now terribly depressed because I don't know if I'll encounter another anthology as delicious as this one for the rest of 2012. The suspense and the momentum in these individual tales should be kept for the reader, and I refuse to spoil the plots. The only tidbits I will reveal about the four stories...

1) Nicole Kimberling has made me shudder at the words 'banquet' and 'feast'. Goblins can be quite gorgeous omg.
2) Oh fae...I've never stopped loving you. Makes me want to reread the Fever Series again.
3) I love Astrid Amara. - I needed that story to go on for a hundred more pages. I love my time warps, glyphs, and blood sacrifices. Yum.
4) Ginn Hale. I am speechless...magics and spells are never the same in the different worlds she creates, and I feel so, so privileged to read her writing.

Nicole Kimberling draws you straight into the world while never overwhelming you with the nuances of the realms and ...species. For a creation so intricate, I was expecting to tread through some info-dumping - and I was fully prepared to excuse all of that because I know these authors would deliver. Absolutely unfounded fears on my part - there was not even a drop of info-dumping to be had in the course of 4 stories. Each built a bit more into the world until by the time you reach Ginn Hale's story, you kind of expect to see some hidden goblins, faeries, or what-have-you-nots around you. You believe there is possibly a NIAD lurking in your city, and yes, I'm still very sane.

Masterful storytelling doesn't even begin to describe the writing and the prose. Is it really that much to expect in all m/m stories? If any publishers need examples of what to publish, look no further - this is IT. If I can, I'd force every publisher to read the anthology and tell them this is what you need to aspire to.

I know this was a long wait, but good quality takes time. And I, as a reader, am willing to wait another year if I get to see another work of this quality. I had bought the ebook version, but now, I'm going to get the hardcopy as well. This is definitely worth keeping.

I really hope the writers will consider revisiting the world - I would love to catch up with old characters and perhaps meet new ones in this vast world.

Highly, highly recommended if you enjoy fantastically written urban fantasy in the m/m world. Seriously, if you like m/m at all, this book should not be missed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irregulars.