WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Don't You Forget About Me

Don't You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane

bookshelves: contemporary, non-series

He chewed his pen and gave me a guarded smile. Something and everything had changed. I didn’t know yet that small moments can be incredibly large.

Don't You Forget About Me is a moving standalone that I would consider women's fiction with about 15% that could be considered romance. Told completely from Georgina's point of view, we're introduced to her on a night she gets fired from her waitress job and catches her boyfriend cheating on her.

So Lucas is now a grown-up who owns and runs places. I’m thirty and begging to work in them. The indignity.

Through Georgina's reminiscing, reader's learn that she was a typical student just wanting to be liked and that she had a secret romance with a bit of an outcast named Lucas the last year of school. On a night that was supposed to end up special for her and Lucas, something happened and they ended up never speaking again, until Georgina's brother-in-law gets her a job at a pub Lucas and his brother are newly opening. Lucas behaves toward her like he doesn't know who she is and even though that breaks her heart, Georgina pretends they never met too.

I shake my head and fight to get control of my vocal cords. “I’m writing about my worst day at school for a writing competition at the pub,” I gasp. “And I know they want something funny and light and easy. But my worst day at school. It was terrible. I think it might’ve ruined my life.”

I somewhat struggled with the first half of the book. Georgina's inner musings dominate and the tone from her reads a bit hyper, distraught, and rambling. Georgina's life is laid out, with her feeling like a failure, still dealing with dad's death, friends, and family issues; it's more structure of our lead character's world. This made it at times plodding for me to get through but when towards the middle when Georgina is settled working at the pub, starting to deal and interact with family, friends, and starting to write by competing in a stand-up performance at the pub, this opens the story up and Georgina interacts with the outside world more, bring in more emotion.

The price of keeping the secret, it was too high to keep paying.

While I would give the first half 2-3 stars, the second half is 5 stars all the way, rarely have I read a story that packs such emotional punches. In the beginning, Georgina hints at what happened her last night of school, I'm sure most will guess, but the second half she lays it out there and the author did a beautiful job of writing Georgina's emotions as she confronts, deals, and shares such an impactful night of her life. Secondary characters, like her friends and family, are brought even more in and the emotional ties between them added so much to the story. This also helps to bring Lucas even more into play and the later half is where there is a stronger romance genre feel. These two don't have a lot of moments together but you'll feel and remember each and every one.

Sometimes the truth is messy and difficult but it isn’t always best left. Sometimes it saves you.

This story is about all the laughter that hides the pain and relationships that can weaken and strengthen you. Georgina started off a little bit left of center character with a circle of family that brought messy emotional ties, friends that supported her and pushed her, and a first love that acted like he didn't know who she was. As this was more women's fiction, Lucas' character was lacking a bit in feeling completely filled out but the way he shows up in the end came pretty close to making up for it for me. I would have liked more of Keith the dog and the beginning to be cleaned up in terms of flowing better but the second half was pretty close to perfection. If you're wanting a story to make you feel, Don't You Forget About Me packs a heck of an emotional punch that will have you smiling through your tears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Forget About Me.

July 11, 2019 – Shelved
July 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 6, 2019 – Started Reading
November 11, 2019 –
page 1
0.23% "Snuggled in w/ sloppy joes & a good book on this cold & blustery day

Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes recipe
A fav I love making,blue cheese sauce adds great taste.

75262289-10103875750856571-6338986680782946304-o"
November 16, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 16, 2019 – Shelved as: non-series
November 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Outstanding review! I'm sold- adding this one! 💖

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thanks! Just remember if you struggle in the first half like I did, the second half is so good. You have to let me know if you end up tearing up! Lol.

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth *eyes that 4.5 star rating*
*checks user name*
Can it be?
*blinks*

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Astrid - I know! And it's more a women's/contemporary fiction than romance, but oh, that second half. So so so good.

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth LOL - I'm happy for you! It's rare to see you so enthusiastic about a book. I love it!

message 6: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie Thanks for the slow starter warning. I love MM’s sense of humor. Even when I feel a little meh about one of her stories, I get plenty of laughs & smiles. Nice review:)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I should have known from the cartoon-y cover that it would lean women's fiction-ish. So worth any slowness in beginning for that ending. Just, soooo good.