Christine's Reviews > Good Guy

Good Guy by Kate Meader

liked it
bookshelves: arc, sports-romance

The Good: Kate Meader has a Chicago Rebels spin-off with a cross-over with the Chicago Dempseys! So much fun visiting old friends like Remy and Harper from Irresistible You and Kinsey from Flirting with Fire (although I really wanted to see my fave couple, Alex and Eli).

The Not-So-Bad: the new crew of hot hockey players stole the show from main couple Levi and Jordan. I can't wait for Theo "Superglutes" Kershaw's story - he and Elle were sparking like crazy. I really enjoyed the Chicago Rebels and am looking forward to a new batch of hockey romances. Levi's teammates added much needed fun to a sometimes slow and at other times heavy handed story.

The Bad: So Many Issues to Unpack. This book had it all and maybe a little too much: losing a spouse, parental expectations, second chance romance, sexism in the workplace, sexism in the sports world, ethics, sexual assault, homelessness, veterans. There were times that I felt characters were just lecturing about the difficulties women faced in professional sports, and in between lectures, Levi was repeatedly apologizing for offending Jordan.

Levi wasn't a bad guy; in fact, he was a lovely stoic grump harboring a years-long yen for his best friend's wife. The problem was that there were so many issues to cover in this book that Levi's slow burn for Jordan was often shuttled to the side. And because there was so little time spent on Jordan other than as a beleaguered hockey journalist, it was hard to see any real chemistry between Jordan and Levi.

Kate Meader writes great romances with strong heroines, stubborn but caring heroes, fantastic chemistry, fun banter, and believable drama. Unfortunately, there may have been a little too much drama here and not enough of the chemistry. Still, I have very high hopes for the next Rebel romance (please let it be Theo's turn!).

Note: I voluntarily read and reviewed this ARC generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Guy.

Finished Reading