Holly's Reviews > The Last Word

The Last Word by Samantha Hastings

6019502

bookshelves: 1-blogtour-xpressoreads, 1-i-was-part-of-blog-tour, 2019, cover-love, debut, ebook, hist-fic, swoonreads-pub

The Last Word is a delightful debut from Samantha Hastings! This historical fiction has sweet romance and a book-lover’s mystery at its heart. I absolutely adore historical fiction, in both senses of the word: fiction written today about historical subjects, and fiction written in historical times. The Bronte sisters are my all-time favorite, and I also have a soft spot for Jane Austen. I would compare The Last Word to Jane Austen’s novels, as it has decidedly less gothic feel than the Bronte sisters’ works and focuses on the conventions of society and how so many women chafed at the strictures placed on them.

Lucinda is an absolutely delightful heroine, smart as a whip and seriously unfulfilled in the life she is expected to lead as a proper young lady. Reading about her aptitude for math reminded me of Ada Lovelace, who also chafed at the role she was forced into by society (though Ada’s mother supported her study of math) and would often discuss complex mathematical topics at society parties. Lucinda, who could balance accounting books faster than any clerk in her father’s accounting business, wanted so badly to be part of that world, but her father forbade it. When Lucinda turns to her father’s partner, her old childhood friend David Randall, to help track down her favorite author, she may have also found a way to take part in the work she loves and is so good at. David is definitely a swoon-worthy hero, like Mr. Darcy but way less...well, rude! Watching David and Lucinda get reacquainted was so much fun, I felt like I was falling in love right along with them.

I highly recommend this sweet historical romance to anyone who loves the works of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, or contemporary writers of historical romance. I promise that you will root for Lucinda and David to find the author Mrs. Smith, to figure out a way for Lucinda to fulfill her potential, and to fall in love! Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours, Swoon Reads, and Samantha Hastings for allowing me to be part of this tour and to share my love of The Last Word with you.

Rating: 4 stars!

**Disclosure: I received an early e-copy from the publisher for purposes of this blog tour. This review is voluntary on my part and reflects my honest rating and review of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Word.

July 1, 2019 – Started Reading