Truly Bookish's Reviews > Being Friends with Boys

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads

I won this from Goodreads First Reads Program.

Charlotte is the lone girl in her band, Sad Jackal. She writes their songs and manages them but prefers to keep a low profile and let the boys take the spot light. After being dropped by her best friend, Lish, who starts avoiding Char in order to hang out with more popular girls, Char has only the boys left and that’s okay with her. Things do start getting complicated when Trip, the band mate that she hangs out with the most, quits the band and two new boys join. Being Friends with Boys is an adorable book about how Char handles relationships with several very cool and very different boys and all the complications that go along with them.

I’m a very character driven reader and Terra Elan McVoy is awesome at writing them. I loved Char! She was a normal, likable girl without ever being boring. I loved that she got inspiration from her songs from looking at pictures of family and friends and from her life experiences. Char does have some issues with abandonment but McVoy handles even the angsty stuff so well, it was never annoying, just wonderfully done. I loved the boys as well with the exception of Oliver who I thought was pompous but I guess at least one of them had to be a jerk.

The thing that surprised me that most were Char’s healthy, supportive relationships with her father, stepmother and stepsisters. It would have been easy for McVoy to make this blended family a cause of pain and suffering in Char's life. Don’t get me wrong, Char does have drama (including some from her mom), but the author definitely went against stereotypes and does not vilify the usual suspects.

Overall, Being Friends with Boys was a cute and funny book. The romance in the book was really sweet and made me smile. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves YA contemporary novels or books about music and bands. This will also make a great summer read and is perfect for when you are reading on the beach or by the pool!

Content: Kissing, profanity, underage drinking and drug use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Friends with Boys.