Linzi's Reviews > The Lie: A Memoir of Two Marriages, Catfishing & Coming Out

The Lie by William Dameron

2074994

it was ok
bookshelves: biography-inspiration, lgbtq

The tag line on this one is, "The Lie: A Memoir of Two Marriages, Catfishing & Coming Out" . I have to tell you that the description of the book is entirely more interesting than the actual book. This is a spoilery review so stop now if you don't want to know stuff.

It's a memoir, yes…about a man who did not come out to his family until much later in life…after he's married and had two daughters.

I've been reading a lot more about gender identity and sexual preference. Some fiction and some not…but this book was dull. And I hate saying that because it's some dude's actual life that he took the time to write about. It's something he worked hard on. But I felt none of the emotions that he was trying to convey.

The bit about Catfishing has nothing to do with his overall arcs. He jumps around from thing to thing and while in some memoirs it works (and would arguably need to be there), it doesn't work here. Two marriages? Cool. There's almost nothing about his second marriage.

The way this is written I got the impression that other than a bit of awkwardness and some pain with his wife and kids…life was smooth sailing as soon as he came out. Everything just fell into place. When you read this book…you know that can't possibly be the case. Hell, one of his brothers didn't accept him…but it warrants less than a passing paragraph.

His new marriage? Poof! He got married.

And while I don't expect him to be able to wax poetic about how his family felt about him coming out…I would expect him to dig deeper and talk to them about what they felt and maybe put that in. If things are so good now, why haven't they talked about what it all felt like.

I don't know. I just didn't like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lie.

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading