Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > Housebreaking

Housebreaking by Dan Pope

Read 2 times. Last read July 10, 2019 to July 11, 2019.

A look behind the facade of a so-called 'perfect' suburban neighborhood, which is at times, wry and funny, but disturbingly gripping.

HOUSEBREAKING has long been on my TBR and I finally got the chance to dive in this summer. And I loved it. Audrey and Andrew are tired of their life--they move into an old farmhouse and decide to renovate it. Their daughter, 17 year old Emily is a mess and looking for love in all the wrong places. In fact, this entire family is disintegrating.

Meanwhile, Benjamin Mendelbaum's wife has kicked him to the curb and so he moves in with his 84 year old father. But the father is charming and adorable and soon has a lady friend of his own...but it's not exactly what you think. Meanwhile, Benjamin learns his high school crush has moved into the old farmhouse...

What might appear predictable, HOUSEBREAKING is not. Told from three distinct POVs--Audrey's, Ben's, and Andrew's, with touches of Leonard and Emily, HOUSEBREAKING is powerful and provacative, taking readers deep into suburban secrets, revealing darker truths. At times, this story is a bit disturbing, but how I loved the multiple layers, about how we all have good intentions, but those can often go awry. I marveled at the writing, the nuances, the details, how Pope was able to weave effortlessly and astutely throughout different POVs.

Overall, I found HOUSEBREAKING a gorgeously written, gripping literary drama that is both authentic, clever, and yet melancholy.Those who like the work of Tom Perrotta (LITTLE CHILDREN) will appreciate this read, with a touch of THE IMMORTALISTS (Chloe Benjamin) meets Elizabeth Berg (ARTHUR TRULUV).

For all my reviews, including author interviews, please see: www.leslielindsay.com|Always with a Book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Housebreaking.

Finished Reading