Cheri's Reviews > Beautiful Dreamer

Beautiful Dreamer by Melissa Brayden

1994963

bookshelves: 2019-genre-challenge, 2019-reads, arc, lgbtq, netgalley, romance

I'd go 4.5 on this one but rounding up because I couldn't stop smiling at the end.

I've been hit and miss with Ms. Brayden's books but have figured out that I'm a sucker for her stand-alones but not so much of a fan of the ensemble series books. I've always had a tough time with reading any series so it's not a big shock for me.

Beautiful Dreamer was perfect for me in many ways: lots of humor, great chemistry, family issues that aren't completely resolved (because that's how family works), and a happy ending that didn't just happen but took some time. I also seem to be a fan of the "woman returns to small town home after being away for many years, only to discover love and happiness in the place she ran from" trope. While reading Beautiful Dreamer, I had a burning desire to reread Behind the Pine Curtain and caught myself thinking of other favorites that have the same premise. Didn't Strawberry Summer have the "woman returns" thing happening too? Just checked and it did. I loved that book. Yep, it's official. I'm a second chance/come-on-home romance sort of woman.

Now I'll patiently wait for the next stand-alone from one of the best sweet romance writers around.

Thanks to NetGalley and BSB for the ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Dreamer.

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading
July 10, 2019 – Shelved
17.0% "DOGGIE!"
July 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Megan I take full credit for recommending you read this one. I loved it!

Cheri You get ALL the credit. Thank you!

message 3: by Alena (new)

Alena I want to read this to test my theory, same as yours or close to it, that I like her standalones and first books in a series but should stay away from the rest 😉

Cheri You absolutely should!

Also, I tested my theory about staying away from Dutton books and it was proven. Again. No more.

Megan How about we introduce a cattle prod as part of aversion therapy - every time you say you want to try a new Dutton, someone zaps you?

Cheri Remind me of that next time. You can have first dibs on wielding it.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen absolutely 100% agree with your feelings on this author. I have grown to really dislike her series, but the standalones are ususally winners. I loved this book as well. It was almost perfect.