Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret  Rogerson

47207032

bookshelves: bookstagram-made-me-do-it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie

I'm so bummed, because I had a paper where I noted my favorite quotes and corresponding page numbers tucked into my hardcopy of this book, but I seem to have misplaced it. 😿 No matter, I will carry on and you will now know that I had so many quotes I loved from this book and there simply wasn't enough room here to include them.

Me, rushing to tell you all about this book:

description

Sometimes, I think the entire experience surrounding a book contributes to our giving it 5 stars, rather than just the story itself and my experience with Sorcery of Thorns is a perfect example of this. Picture with me, a woman who is technically in Barnes and Noble shopping for her daughter, but clearly must snoop around, lest she miss any new releases, and stumbles upon a cover she has seen on numerous occasions, but never took the time to read the synopsis. I thought it sounded good, the cover was stunning, and after seeing Meltotheany gave this one the green light, I did something I haven't done in years: I bought the dang book and started reading it the moment I got home. 😮 I'm so used to drowning in ARCs and not picking up a book until months or YEARS later, that this simple act was revolutionary to my reading slump. Long story short, my new goal is to get to a place where 75% of my reading is done in this manner.

description

What's this book about? Glad you asked! It's about magical libraries, and the humans who protect the books that populate these sacred buildings. It's about sorcerers and demons, and a girl's journey on discovering how everything she's ever known may not be the gospel truth. It's about a journey to save the world from unparalleled evil, but also a journey in one's finding their self. It's romantic and inclusive and did I mention it features one of my favorite antiheroes of all time? This blubbering mess of a paragraph probably doesn't help you in figuring out exactly what this book is, but I'd rather leave it up to you to read for yourself. If you enjoy character driven fantasy with a wispy, slow building romance, noteworthy platonic relationships, and a diverse cast that doesn't feel included solely to be politically correct, you may enjoy this book as well. Also? I hope you love Silas as much as I did. 💖

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcery of Thorns.

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading
July 10, 2019 – Shelved
July 14, 2019 –
page 73
16.01% "You don’t know true panic until one of your kids hides a book you just started reading and it doesn’t turn up for FOUR. DAYS. 🙃"
July 18, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling I hope you love it, this book caught my eye early in the year as a "coming soon" option...but I sadly have not yet snapped it up.
Hope you love it 😍

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "I hope you love it, this book caught my eye early in the year as a "coming soon" option...but I sadly have not yet snapped it up.
Hope you love it 😍"

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Chelsea wrote: "Thanks girl! So far I'm really enjoying it. I think this will be one that I'll take my time going through, and read alongside other books."

So long as you're enjoying it that's what matters 😇

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Thanks girl! So far I'm really enjoying it. I think this will be one that I'll take my time going through, and read alongside other books."

So long as you're enjoying it that's wha..."

XO

message 5: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike The cover did the trick for along with blurb on the back by Katherine Arden. I really enjoyed this one, Chelsea, so I hope you do as well.

Chelsea Humphrey Mike wrote: "The cover did the trick for along with blurb on the back by Katherine Arden. I really enjoyed this one, Chelsea, so I hope you do as well."

message 7: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jul 15, 2019 05:53AM) (new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Chelsea wrote: "Thank you, Mike! I'm really enjoying it so far, and having trouble focusing on adulting because I just want to binge the rest! "

Adulting is overrated...read the book ;-)

PS: word to the wise...i am often called a shoulder-demon and/or enabler so perhaps my "advice" is best ignored

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Thank you, Mike! I'm really enjoying it so far, and having trouble focusing on adulting because I just want to binge the rest! "

Adulting is overrated...read the book ;-)

PS: word..."

;) Thanks girl!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Yay glad you love this and I cannot wait for your full review!
I am seeing more and more positive reviews of Ms Rogersons books on my feed and it's giving me *grabby-hands*
The fact that they are standalones just increases the appeal for me 😍
I have to be good though and wait for my credit card to reset ... oooh, speaking of, I may have just realised that could be happening this weekend! Better prepare the trigger finger & warn the one-click-buy option - however I'm not going to give my kindle a heads up, that poor crater knows whats what 😂

message 10: by Mie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mie Reads I am currently reading this one as well,and it has taken me by surprise. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed a YA fantasy this much 😊

Autumn I'm so glad you loved this one! I absolutely fell in love with it which took me by surprise - I knew I would like it from the synopsis but I didn't think I would absolutely adore it. <3 <3

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "Yay glad you love this and I cannot wait for your full review!
The fact that they are s..."

Chelsea Humphrey Mie wrote: "I am currently reading this one as well,and it has taken me by surprise. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed a YA fantasy this much 😊"

That's exactly how I felt! I rarely keep books for my personal shelves; I typically give them away or add to our Little Free Library, but this is one my greedy hands want to hold onto. :)

Chelsea Humphrey Autumn wrote: "I'm so glad you loved this one! I absolutely fell in love with it which took me by surprise - I knew I would like it from the synopsis but I didn't think I would absolutely adore it. <3 <3"

Yay! I still haven't read her first novel, but I rushed out to the library to grab it and give it a try. <3

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Chelsea wrote: "This one is totally worth the money spent to own it, love! I would be honest if it wasn't worth your time, but this is in my top 3 favorite novels of the year! I hope you love it as much as I do when you get the chance to read it. <3."

High praise indeed, love when a book surprises us and utterly establishes itself on our favourites lists

message 16: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Love the fact that you ran out to grab her first book from the library. I'll look forward to your review of that one, Chelsea. Really glad you enjoyed this one so much.

Chelsea Humphrey Mike wrote: "Love the fact that you ran out to grab her first book from the library. I'll look forward to your review of that one, Chelsea. Really glad you enjoyed this one so much."

Thank you so much, Mike! I'm hoping to get this review up over the weekend! :)

Aoife wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "This one is totally worth the money spent to own it, love! I would be honest if it wasn't worth your time, but this is in my top 3 favorite novels of the year! I hope you love it as..."

So true girl!!!

message 18: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Glad you loved!! <3 <3

Chelsea Humphrey Deanna wrote: "Glad you loved!! <3 <3"

Thank you De! <3

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling This full review is awesome, gif game is aces & the desire to read this book only increases 😍

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "This full review is awesome, gif game is aces & the desire to read this book only increases 😍"

Eek I am dying for you to read it, Aoife!

message 22: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jul 22, 2019 11:07AM) (new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Could be a while unless I slot it in between Mistborn books...plus I'm really trying to be good and not spend over $10 for individual kindle books. At the moment this one is just above my threshold and I'm trying to behave for once 🤣

Plus I may have spent $30+ on the 6 Mistborn books yesterday...but individually they were all under my threshold so still doing good right? 😇

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "Could be a while unless I slot it in between Mistborn books...plus I'm really trying to be good and not spend over $10 for individual kindle books. At the moment this one is just above my threshold..."

message 24: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jul 22, 2019 12:36PM) (new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Chelsea wrote: "Oh I feel ya there girl! Also, Mistborn is SO good, and I can't wait to hear what you think of the series!"

I fear you may have no choice seeing as you, perhaps foolishly, relinquished a friend slot to me you'll be spammed with my updates - however with 5000 friends I'm sure my verbal vomit will be lost in the maelstrom 🤗

Unsurprisingly however, so for so very good 🤩