Jennifer ☼'s Reviews > Swan Song

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

Jul 31, 2008

bookshelves: favorites, horror, bram-stoker-novels

Here's the bottom line: Swan Song is one of my favorite books of all time. It stills impacts me every bit as much as the first time I read it.

Swan Song is very dark, and it's scary, but it's also one of the most beautiful and hopeful books I have ever read.

Weighing in at 956 pages, it's a huge story in every sense of the word. There are characters you will hate and fear as well as characters you will fall in love with and care about long after you've finished reading. There is magic, evil, goodness, hope, ruin, and beauty throughout the pages of Swan Song.

If you are a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, Swan Song is an absolute must read. I give it my highest recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swan Song.

July 31, 2008 – Shelved
July 29, 2010 – Shelved as: favorites
November 1, 2010 – Shelved as: horror
February 5, 2012 – Started Reading
February 5, 2012 –
page 1
0.12% "Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire..."
February 18, 2012 –
page 112
13.08% "That's how you write post-apocalyptic fiction."
February 29, 2012 –
page 578
March 2, 2012 –
page 707
82.59% "One of my absolute favorite books of all time."
March 7, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 29, 2013 – Shelved as: bram-stoker-novels

Jennifer ☼ No reading funk could ever stand up to this one.

Char Ain't that the truth?? LOVE McCammon!

Jennifer ☼ I do, too, and Swan Song is one of my absolute favorites.

message 4: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave Thomas I'm almost ashamed to admit I've never read a single McCammon novel. Would this one be your top recommendation?

Jennifer ☼ The only McCammon I would recommend higher than Swan Song is Boy's Life. (Read 'em both!) :)

message 6: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave Thomas Good advice! Thanks.

message 7: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Thompson I'm going to copy you two. :P

Jennifer ☼ :D Lee, you will love Boy's Life. There's a lot of childhood magic in that one.

message 9: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Thompson Excellent. Then it will make my heart sing. :D

message 10: by Char (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char Lee, Boy's Life definitely will make your heart sing.
One of my all time favorites!
I hope you enjoy it!

Bethica Have you read any of his new stuff yet? I haven't and was wondering what you thought.

message 12: by Char (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char If you are speaking of the historical fiction series featuring Matthew Corbett, I have and I love them.
They are not horror though. I loved them all and the new one should be coming out this year.
I wasn't sure who you were asking so I just jumped in!

Jennifer ☼ I thought his last release The Five was great. It was written more like a thriller, but I really enjoyed it.

message 14: by Char (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char I liked it too, Jen. I just love McCammon. I would probably read his grocery list if he published it.

Brittany I think I've found a new favorite author, if the rest of his books are half as good as this.

message 16: by Char (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Please try Boy's Life. You won't be disappointed. :)

Jennifer ☼ Hooray, Brittany! They are. My thoughts exactly, Charlene. :) Boy's Life is a must read.

Leslie Holstein I agree. I read Swan Song for the first time in 1989 and I have read it 20 times since and have 3 copies of it. It is my all time favorite book and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of this genre. It is a very moving story that never fails to give me hope when it comes to humanity.

Jennifer ☼ Hi, Leslie. Swan Song is definitely one of my most purchased books. I keep giving away all of my copies! Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from others who love this book as much as I do.

Andrew Excellent review! I read this book some months ago, for me the first book of Robert McCammon, and it's fantastic. I hope I could read other asap.

Jennifer ☼ Andrew wrote: "Excellent review! I read this book some months ago, for me the first book of Robert McCammon, and it's fantastic. I hope I could read other asap."

Thanks, Andrew! Swan Song is a perfect first McCammon. You have a lot of really great reading ahead of you. Do make sure you give Boy's Life a read. :)