Sarah's Reviews > Summer Nights

Summer Nights by Jill Sanders

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a perfect summer read. A reinvented Florida summer camp provides a beautiful background for a story about the Wildflowers, a group of women who became lifelong best friends when they met at summer camp as children. The five Wildflowers are resilient and this first book follows their first efforts to build a business they can all be proud of.

The first story focuses on Zoey. Zoey is the athlete, the tomboy whose difficult childhood has left her unable to trust. Adult Zoey is strong and full of grit and determination. As the oldest sister, she feels responsible for her sister and her mum. I love the way Zoey’s confidence improves as the camp starts to take shape and I love the way she makes Dylan work for her attention.

Dylan is a bit of a mystery. He and his brothers are a bit too good to be true and while we get hints about his identity and his reasons for wanting to work at a summer camp, we don’t know too much about Dylan until the end of the story. Like Zoey, I was slightly wary of Dylan, but I couldn’t help liking him. He’s gorgeous and charming and a worthy leading man.

I love the mix of humour and adventure in this story. The first campers are an interesting bunch and the Wildflowers’ responses to their unexpected activities kept making me laugh. A central mystery unfolds in this first book and I’m guessing it will continue over the series. I love the unlikely mix of women in the Wildflowers and I love the sense of enduring sisterhood they share. The romance between Zoey and Dylan is a relatively small part of the story and I really love the way this book introduces a wonderful mix of characters and relationships that I’m sure will be explored throughout the series. This is a perfect nostalgic summer holiday read and I can imagine it would be best enjoyed in a quiet place on a warm summer evening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Nights.

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading