Sarah's Reviews > The Messenger

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell

bookshelves: received-for-review, 2012-reads, american-revolution-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read May 14, 2012 to May 26, 2012.

Are you tired of the books that go like this?
Pretty and sweet girl meets handsome rough who is not at Christian. Guy gets sweet girl to realize her fanatical beliefs are silly. Girl still loves God, but tosses most of her beliefs. Handsome Rouge comes to Christ making everything okay.

Yup, I get tired of that story too. How come we swoon over it in the books and movies and then are horrified when our daughters, sisters, and friends do it. Well, this is a happy exception to the rule while still keeping some of the elements that make that kind of a story line appealing.

Hannah is not just a Quaker because her parents are, she truly believes in most of the principles that they have. She tries to obey and honor her father even when it is hard. My favorite conviction that she has, and she sticks to the whole book, was that she will not tell a lie. Even though there are many times when a ‘little white lie’ or a ‘half-truth’ would have saved her a lot of pain, Hannah refuses to do it.

Some parents may not like the fact that Hannah does avoid telling her parents what she is doing. Also at one point in the book they do paint her father in a bad light, making him sound crazy for his beliefs. However, I found it very real. Sometimes, fathers are wrong just like everyone else. I didn’t find it a problem, though I thought some parents might want a heads up.

For those who don’t like heavy romance books, you might want to check this book out. Yes, Jeremy and Hannah do end up liking each other. Yes, there are a few romantic moments, but it wasn’t overdone. I also believe (unless I missed it somehow) that they didn’t kiss, unless you count the one he gave her on the temple. No, it wasn’t even in a romantic scene.

I loved the setting! I felt like I was living in the middle of the British occupation of Philadelphia. Siri Mitchell has a way of conveying the mood of not only her main characters, but the mood of a city. Even during the light-hearted scenes, you can feel the tension that the British occupation causes. I can’t wait to get my hands on another of her books.

I highly recommend this book to anyone 15 or older. Younger than that, parents might want to read it first, because of a couple things that happened. However, I thought the author handled it very well. Grab a copy today.

I received this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review. I was under no obligation to write a positive review. The opinions in this review are entirely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.

March 5, 2012 – Shelved
March 20, 2012 – Shelved as: received-for-review
May 14, 2012 – Started Reading
May 14, 2012 –
page 56
14.58% "This book is so cool!"
May 26, 2012 –
page 153
39.84% "Oh yes, I love this book. I think I will finish it by the end of today! I love Hannah's stand to do what is right, even when it is hard. I hope she continues to hold fast."
May 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads
February 10, 2016 – Shelved as: american-revolution-fiction
June 22, 2019 – Started Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
June 22, 2019 – Shelved (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019reads (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: best-of-the-... (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: american-rev... (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-f... (Audible Audio Edition)
June 25, 2019 – Finished Reading (Audible Audio Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sarah Ysa wrote: "So did you not recommend this one because of my age???"

Sarah Ysa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Ysa wrote: "So did you not recommend this one because of my age???"

Because of a couple of brief moments, I think 15 or older is best. I try to put an age range on all my reviews."

..."

If you feel you can handle it, go for it. It is very well written and very good.