Liz's Reviews > The Perfect Wife

The Perfect Wife by J.P. Delaney

bookshelves: netgalley

What doesn’t come across from the book’s blurb is that this is sci-fi. Abbie awakes from what she thinks has been an accident. Her husband and child are alive, so no worries, until her husband says that she’s actually a cobot, a “companion robot” -that she actually died and what she thinks of as HER memories have been uploaded into her.

Now Abbie maybe a robot, but she’s one with empathy. It was hard to remember that she wasn’t human. And the book contains the best definition of what it means to be the parent of an autistic child I’ve ever read. (The reason why is explained in the Acknowledgments.)

I always find it unusual when a story is told in the second person. But Abbie’s portions are. The historic sections are told in first person but we aren’t told who the narrator is. It’s a very disconcerting approach but it works really well.

The book is an interesting mix between sci-fi and domestic thriller. It raises some fascinating moral questions and will have you thinking about what makes someone human. Abbie is even asked at one point if she thinks she has a soul. As someone who hates that pets are treated as property, I really got into the legal aspects as well.

This book took me places I didn’t expect. It’s one I highly recommend, even for those that think they don’t like sci-fi. My only criticism is that Tim is more caricature than real person. I had trouble buying his simplistic view of women which read like a Freud 101 case.

My thanks to netgalley and Random House for an advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Wife.

Started Reading
July 9, 2019 – Finished Reading
July 10, 2019 – Shelved
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Terrific review, Liz! Looking forward to reading this one! 💕

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Julie wrote: "Terrific review, Liz! Looking forward to reading this one! 💕"

Thanks Julie. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Very thought provoking.

message 3: by marilyn (new) - added it

marilyn Great review LIz...I still have this one to read.

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz marilyn wrote: "Great review LIz...I still have this one to read."

Thanks Marilyn. I’ll be looking for your review.

message 5: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Liz, you know me enough by now to know that I don’t read thrillers, but I still enjoyed your review!

message 6: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Wonderful review, Liz, just added it now too. :):)

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Angela M wrote: "Liz, you know me enough by now to know that I don’t read thrillers, but I still enjoyed your review!"

Thanks Angela.

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Peter wrote: "Wonderful review, Liz, just added it now too. :):)"

Thanks Peter. Hope you love it, too.

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Liz! 😊

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Liz! 😊"

Thanks Nicola.

message 11: by Rich (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rich Great review Liz.

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Rich wrote: "Great review Liz."

Thanks Rich.

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) Great review, thank you for mentioning that it is sci fi because that's what I was thinking but most reviews haven't really mentioned genre :)

message 14: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Great review, thank you for mentioning that it is sci fi because that's what I was thinking but most reviews haven't really mentioned genre :)"

Thanks Dorie. I’m not a fan of sci-fi, but enjoyed this. So don’t let the genre turn you off.

Linda Excellent review. I saw that it was sci fi and almost passed on it. I’m glad I didn’t now. I started it today and am sure it will be very good. I love books by this author.

message 16: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Linda wrote: "Excellent review. I saw that it was sci fi and almost passed on it. I’m glad I didn’t now. I started it today and am sure it will be very good. I love books by this author."

Thanks Linda. I’ll be curious to see your review when you’re finished.

Linda Liz wrote: "Linda wrote: "Excellent review. I saw that it was sci fi and almost passed on it. I’m glad I didn’t now. I started it today and am sure it will be very good. I love books by this author."

Thanks L..."

You are welcome and thank you. So far it’s very good.

message 18: by Pat (new)

Pat Great review Liz. I haven't read any Delaney yet but if I ever do I may start with this one.