Elaine Tomasso's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

F 50x66

I would like to thank Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for an advance copy of One Good Deed, a stand alone thriller set in Poca City, an unidentified Southern town in 1949.

On release after a spell in prison for a crime he didn’t commit Aloysius Archer is given a one way ticket to Poca City, a town he doesn’t know but is prepared to get to know while serving his parole. On his first night businessman Hank Pettleman offers him a job as a debt collector on one particular debt. The job turns out to be more complicated than he was led to believe and more troublesome when he turns out to be the prime suspect in a murder.

I thoroughly enjoyed One Good Deed which is a compulsive read with plenty of twists and turns. It is told from Archer’s point of view so the reader can get stuck in to events without distraction, which I did. Mr Baldacci has a very readable style of writing so I immediately felt comfortable with the setting and characters and while it might be classed as historical fiction there is nothing the reader can’t understand or puzzle over, apart from the location of Poca City (Oklahoma is my best guess). The plot is great, engaging and absorbing with all the requisite twists, culminating in a tour de force courtroom scene. Ok, if you really want to nitpick, some of the developments rely heavily on coincidence and serendipity but it’s highly entertaining so who cares?

Aloysius Archer or just Archer as he prefers has a touch of the Jack Reachers about him, smart, chivalrous, handy in a fight and a bit of a nomad but his adventure is entirely different and his feminism a bit misplaced in 1949. He is an engaging character whom I would willingly meet again if the author is so inclined.

One Good Deed is a good read which I have no hesitation in recommending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

July 9, 2019 – Started Reading
July 9, 2019 – Shelved
July 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Matt Fabulous review, Elaine!