Ben Jackson's Reviews > Zero Day

Mar 05, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery
Read in January, 2011

And just when I thought I had finished the Jack Reacher series, Lee Child er...David Baldacci writes another Reacher the first Puller novel.

Jack Reacher John Puller is a crackerjack military investigator, who heads out of the DC area to the south, to check out the death of a senior officer in unsavory conditions. Reacher sorries, Puller is a big dude, and he likes to punch people. Also he travels light. And punchy.

Jack Reacher John Puller comes from a military family. His father died now has Alzheimer's. His brother was a top officer who worked in top secret investigaions and eventually died was a top officer who worked in top secret nuclear stuff and was convicted of treason.

The first half of this Reacher Puller novel rolls around quite nicely, with Reacher damn, sorry, Puller punching bad dudes, making out with the lady cops, and generally being the badass that he has been in all the other Reacher novels never has been before, because this is the first Puller novel.

Then shit gets terrible wierd.

SPOILER IN PARAGRAPH BELOW

Remember that time when Reacher, man I gotta stop doing that, Puller had all that nuclear training which would qualify him to disarm a mysterious nuke acquired by an industrialist and set to blow up a whole damn industrial town? Yeah, me either.

This book is like store-brand slightly stale, not-quite-correctly flavored and/or textured corn chips instead of Fritos. Only read it if you like Reacher so much that you would still find a cheap, worse-for-you knock off delicious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero Day.

02/10/2016 marked as: read

Kristin When I first started reading it I was like damn this is Reacher.... Almost!

Mark Great review! So very true! A Reacher knock off!

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Turner I signed up to goodreads JUST so I could like your comment.

message 4: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Jackson Ha! Awesome. Thanks for the effort!

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Turner Ben wrote: "Ha! Awesome. Thanks for the effort!"

A huge Reacher fan and just about to start 'Puller'... am in 2 minds about offending Reacher by reading the knock off lol

message 6: by Brandi (new)

Brandi fan fiction has again proven itself viable for publication.

Sheetal And here I thought I was the only one doing that! Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought this was a bad knock-off of Reacher (Even the names are similar)

message 8: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean Harriss how do I get to read these books...? ,™c is this some kind of review ..,,? maybe I'm v dumb but would like to read a book or three.... PS. I am totally broke...... at the moment... thanks to all who would like to chill with a good book tonight and scoured one's bookcase.... and can't find a one.... I've not read and reread... can't get out the house just now... and my dog is not good at finding my local library... take care, folks... Sean. .. seandharr3@gmail.com x

message 9: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat There can be only one...

message 10: by Indong (new)

Indong Sologoon the idea of sending only one investigator for the murder of a federal employee and national threat is absurd and is soooo fictional. it's so obvious that that is a just a workaround to make John Puller a bit similar to Jack Reacher. And by the way, why imitate Lee Child's favorite character in the first place? David Baldacci should have used his other heroes like Shaw or King & Maxwell.

Linda I'm reading it now, but your review cracked me up!

message 12: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Marsbergen I'm gonna write a series of books starring a take-no-shit-unless-it's-from-a-beautiful-woman, ex-military badass named James Tugger.

message 13: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace Haha, your review is hilarious. Maybe they will get Tom Cruise Peter Dinklage to play Puller in the movie...

message 14: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon And Reacher, damn, Puller also likes to head butt. I couldn't believe how much of a straight up rip off of Reacher this was.