Aeicha 's Reviews > Sweet Home Alaska

Sweet Home Alaska by Carole Estby Dagg

It’s 1934 and the Great Depression has hit America hard. Young Terpsichore’s father has lost his job and they’re running out of options. When FDR begins the Palmer Colony project, Trip and her family join hundreds of other families in hopes of starting over in Alaska. Trip is excited to be a pioneer like Laura Ingalls Wilder, but once they arrive in Alaska, they soon discover that things will be harder than they thought. Can a giant pumpkin, a library project, and some new friends help Trip convince her mom to let the family stay in Alaska?

Carole Estby Dagg’s Sweet Home Alaska is a tender, thoughtful middle-grade historical fiction. With a plucky heroine, heartfelt storytelling, and a historical setting rarely explored in middle-grade, Sweet Home Alaska is a refreshing and inspiring read.

I had never heard of the Palmer Colony project and I’m sure few young readers will have either, but after reading Sweet Home Alaska they, like me, will be eager to learn more about this project and the people who pioneered it. Dagg does a great job of bringing this time and setting to life through smart historical world building and careful character development. The wilds of Alaska and all the hardships, fascinating discoveries, and adventures it brings are excitedly explored, as readers join Trip on the long journey to her new home.

Sweet Home Alaska is full of endearing, engaging, likable characters for readers to relate to and root for. I really enjoyed Trip’s determined, can-do spirit and her generous heart.

Enjoyable, uplifting, and well-written, Sweet Home Alaska is a delightful read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Home Alaska.

July 9, 2019 – Started Reading