destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Llewellyn's Little Book of Empathy

Llewellyn's Little Book of Empathy by Cyndi Dale

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-reads, nonfiction, adult

I had a really hard time getting into this, sadly. As an empath, I was pretty excited to learn more about it, but the text feels very repetitive and I don't enjoy the author's overall writing voice, sadly. There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't for me. I also think maybe I don't see physical empathy the same way as the author does; at one point, she mentioned a client whose rheumatoid arthritis literally disappeared after he learned to stop empathizing with his mother. I'm not yet convinced that physical empaths can empathize with another person's pains to the degree of being diagnosed with full-on disorders and ailments, especially ones as "big" as RA. I also kept getting annoyed by the author's tidbits about her family for a myriad of reasons I won't bother delving into much here, the least of it being the gender roles and her line about being surprised that she could empathize with her sons since they're men and she's a woman (rolling my eyes, sorry — most empaths will agree with me that empathy has no concept of gender roles).

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Llewellyn's Little Book of Empathy.

July 9, 2019 – Shelved