Catie's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Mar 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: crime, discarded, historical

Although I like Historical crime fiction, this series has two obstacles to surmount for me which mean it was always unlikely that I'd love this book. I'm not a great fan of Sherlock Holmes and I don't generally care for continuations by other hands.
So, I thought King did a good job generally though the odd phrase struck me as slightly off. Though competently executed with some good writing, I found the book very putdownable, did not really engage with Mary Russell or get excited by the (fairly predictable) plot.
I'm pleased to have finished it and may try another in the series some time but I'm in no rush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

March 5, 2012 – Started Reading
March 5, 2012 – Shelved
March 6, 2012 –
page 111
31.99% "My second attempt and I've been finding it hard work again. The early days/ cases just not interesting enough but, a 3rd of the way through, and it looks like we might be on to something meatier now, cross fingers..."
March 7, 2012 –
page 197
56.77% "Things now looking up as proper adventures are starting to happen. Still find myself stopping to wonder though if it would have been possible to do Oxford to Banbury to Hungerford to Guildford then via Kent to Greenwich in a day, mostly on foot or horsedrawn vehicles. Think it would be tough to do by public transport today..."
March 9, 2012 –