Aaron's Reviews > W900

W900 by Tom Mcnulty

U 50x66

I like how chapter one started. The author posed a rhetorical question as the title of the chapter, making me interested in the text that I was about to read. We are introduced to Hovis as the book starts. I came to like Hovis because of his flexibility in his character traits. The conversation he had with Lee Kelso as Lee brought his delivery gave me an insight into the character whom I did not know could be my favorite at the end of the book. Hovis was so good that I failed to see his shortcomings in some instances. He knew how to keep a conversation going, was welcoming and did not judge those beneath him.
‘W900’ tells the story of Hovis Monk, a character I found perplexing even as a favorite. Cheech was another character that was interesting. I liked how witty he was and how he saw through situations. Cheech could analyze Hovis like no other could. I found it amazing that he understood Hovis too much, even creating the ‘Hovis Monk’ paradox. Hovis’ reunion with The Festers was the highlight of the book. I wished The Festers could be more famous as it was such a cool band. I had not foreseen the meeting between the band and Hovis Monk. That twist was a pleasant surprise by the author as the storyline became more intriguing after the meeting.
Tom McNulty’s sense of humor is one of the best things in the book. The author effortlessly made me laugh through most of the chapters because of the comical scenarios he wrote about. The text is not only amusing but also witty. You can easily fall in love with the author’s writing style as he is too talented. Every chapter has a paragraph or phrases that will tickle your funny bone. Some conversations seemed silly but humorous nonetheless. The author also used flashback, metaphors, and allusion to make the story more stirring.
‘W900’ is a fantastic book for readers who appreciate a good story that is filled with humor, creativity, and good diction. Every chapter has a unique heading which is either a rhetorical question or a continuous sentence. Reading the book was a wonderful experience as the writer was artistic, original and ingenious. One is also able to learn a few things from the conversations the characters had. The ending of ‘W900’ is commendable. Tom McNulty ended the last chapter on a high note, leaving the reader wishing for more.
The book has few characters who aced their roles. The character development in ‘W900’ is distinct with the author giving the main characters unconventional traits. One thing I discovered as I read the book was that the reader could fall in love with all the characters. I do not consider any of the major characters as villains as they were brilliant in almost everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read W900.

July 9, 2019 – Started Reading