Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > Gregor and the Code of Claw

Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, reviewed
Read in March, 2012

Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

Gregor learns that the Prophecy of Time requires the death of the Warrior, and since he is the Warrior he needs to prepare himself for what is to come. Meanwhile, the Rats are invading the Underland and with Gregor's mom being held hostage he has no choice but to join in the war.

This is the fifth and final book in The Underland Chronicles. It is a fantasy book aimed at 9 to 12 year olds, but can also be classified as Young Adult. The story primarily takes place on earth in the Underland, far below New York City. The story is told in the third person narrative from the point of view of the main protagonist, Gregor, a 12 year old boy. Suzanne Collins has also written The Hunger Games plus a couple of other books written for youths.

The story is skillfully wrapped up in this final volume. I loved how Ms. Collins examines the whole idea of prophecy and shows how preconceived ideas can impact the decisions people and the influence it has on their reactions. It also looks at society and shows us that just because something was always done a certain way, doesn't mean that it can't be changed. The story examines how different people with different values react to each other and it shows that if we change how we consider each other we can change how we react to each other.

The story is sad and haunting. It takes a good hard look at war and the useless damage it causes, including the impact the loss of good people has on those who remain. The subject manner is definitely not for children but the story was very well written. It has a satisfying and thought provoking conclusion. I recommend this series.

For more of my reviews go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Code of Claw.