megs_bookrack's Reviews > Straight On Till Morning

5. Unbirthday (Alice in Wonderland): 3.5-stars
6. Conceal, Don't Feel (Frozen): 3.5-stars
7. A Whole New World (Aladdin): 3-stars
8. Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid): 2-stars

In this twisted version of Peter Pan, we follow Wendy Darling, who though she has written, and told, many stories of Peter Pan and his escapades with the Lost Boys, she has never actually met him, or been to Neverland.

However, Peter has sat many a night outside of the window to the nursery, listening to Wendy's stories. On one such night, he accidentally leaves behind his shadow.

Wendy keeps his shadow, tucking it away in a drawer, and when she stumbles upon Captain Hook, she uses it as a bargaining chip to gain passage upon the Jolly Roger on a voyage to Neverland.

Unsurprisingly, Hook has more sinister plans in mind than he lets on to Wendy, however, and now Neverland's entire existence is in jeopardy.

Upon discovering Hook's true intentions, Wendy must work with a tiny and surprising ally, Tinkerbell, in order to correct her mistake.

What was she thinking trusting a pirate!?

Overall, I enjoyed this installment. There were some spots that felt a little slow, but mostly it kept me quite entertained.

I really loved the development of Wendy's character. She is 16-years old here, on the cusp of adulthood, dealing with her parent's expectations.

She's not ready to enter womanhood in the way they would like her too. She finds it unnerving.

Her romp through Neverland is her last ditch effort to hold onto the carefree time of her youth.

If fact, that theme arises a lot, with Captain Hook also struggling with his lost boyhood.

In addition to the exploration of the shift your life can take as you grow older, I also enjoyed the evolution of the relationship between Wendy and Tinkerbell.

Tink and Wendy's relationship, as we know it, was often steeped in jealousy and petty acts of sabotage.

While that is how it begins here as well, we also see the two of them growing to understand and ultimately, even care for one other. I thought that growth was very well executed by Braswell.

For fans of Peter Pan, I think this will be a lovely take on the original. It's definitely worth at least picking it up and giving it a shot.

As always, I am looking forward to seeing what stories Disney chooses to twist next!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight On Till Morning.

July 8, 2019 – Shelved
July 8, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2020 – Started Reading
September 12, 2020 –
September 13, 2020 –
22.0% "Still really enjoying this set-up. I like the social commentary on gender roles. Quite interesting."
September 15, 2020 –
September 15, 2020 –
46.0% "There's a lot happening here, just under the surface. Liz Braswell is bringing the social commentary lately.

"
September 16, 2020 –
September 17, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney I’m SO EXCITED for this!

message 2: by Dita (new)

Dita You have some good ones to read!

megs_bookrack Whitney wrote: "I’m SO EXCITED for this!"
Me too! I love Captain Hook 😁😂🖤

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "You have some good ones to read!"Too many!!! 😁😂

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review meg!!💋💯👊💕😉

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review meg!!💋💯👊💕😉"Thank you!!! I appreciate you!! xx

message 7: by Liberty (new) - added it

Liberty Hm, how long is this one? It intrigues me

megs_bookrack Liberty wrote: "Hm, how long is this one? It intrigues me" Believe it or not, it's actually pretty long, close to 500-pages. However, it does read quite quickly. For a fairy tale retelling though, I feel like that is quite long.