Steven Dawson's Reviews > Backlash

Backlash by Brad Thor

I have to start by saying that I think this might very well be the best installment in the Scot Harvath series. And it’s hard for me to make a blanket statement like that because of the fact that there are so many incredible Scot Harvath books. And, while I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them, this one delivered a hit to literally all the feels, and left me feeling like I was just lucky enough to have finished what may quite possibly be a masterpiece in the action thriller genre...

There were all the same ingredients that Thor is famous for: the intense high-speed action, the edge of your seat/cliffhanging engagements, overcoming the seemingly insurmountable, some heart wrenching loss...and all with just the right amount of dark & witty humor of course.

what sets this book apart, a notch above the rest IMO, is the heavy influx of that last ingredient- the heart wrenching/tear swelling loss that our protagonist is hit with and forced to deal with. Right from the beginning- not even a small stack of pages into the book- I knew this was going to be something special as we’re given an opening that starts with the loss of a few incredibly important characters in the series. I honestly thought for a moment that I accidentally scrolled a few chapters ahead, because who would start the book out like this?? No one likes to lose a semi-main character in a series you love, and to do it right off the bat?! Ballsy.

But I suppose when you’re on this number in the series some of those good guys have to succumb to the hostile/deadly universe that we love so much. (Reed Carlton hung around for a book or two longer than he probably should have though, lol) And while unexpected, it certainly laid the groundwork for what turned out to be an epic adventure of perseverance, where literally all of Harvath’s skills are put to the test, and we see him make his greatest stand.

This book takes you on a roller coaster from start to end, and has you at the edge of your seat far too many times than any one book should be allowed to. You know how sometimes, when you’ve been following a series for a long time and have seen the protagonist escape some pretty crazy situations, often against overwhelming odds, and every now and then you’ll find yourself thinking that there’s just no way out this time? and surely there’s no way he can write some way out of this one..but then of course, somehow he does and leaves you with your jaw on the floor? Yeah, well, that happens a lot in this one, lol. I couldn’t put it down. But that’s par for the course when reading a Thor novel I guess.

I mean, IMO this book solidifies who the biggest badass of the thriller genre is; and while TRBS may not agree, I think I’ve gotta say move over Mitch Rapp...Scot Harvath is just too damn badass to rank anywhere else but the top.

Well done Mr. Thor. 👏
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backlash.

July 8, 2019 – Started Reading